.

Reggie Jackson Blasted For Gary Carter Comments

Reggie Jackson Blasted For Gary Carter Comments - Reggie Jackson Blasted For Gary Carter Comments, feels is a shot Jackson took at his late former teammate Gary Carter. In a recent Sports Illustrated interview, Jackson said he never saw several players, including Carter, as deserving of the Hall of Fame. “He is going a long ways saying something like that,” Backman, now manager of the Mets’ Triple-A affiliate in Buffalo, said Sunday. “Especially with a guy like Gary and his status. It’s not only the player, it’s the person, too. That’s going overboard.

“To me, it’s a disgrace to the Yankee family with him saying that.”

Carter died in February after a battle with brain cancer. That did not stop Jackson from throwing dirt on Carter’s career.

“I didn’t see Kirby Puckett as a Hall of Famer. I didn’t see Gary Carter as a Hall of Famer. I didn’t see Don Sutton as a Hall of Famer. I didn’t see Phil Niekro as a Hall of Famer. As much as I like Jim Rice, I’m not so sure he’s a Hall of Famer,” Jackson was quoted as saying.

Backman just shook his head at Jackson’s comments.

“I think it’s a disgrace,” Backman said. “It’s off the wall.

“I don’t know what he was thinking when you throw guys’ names in there like Kirby Puckett. I played 14 years in the big leagues and Kirby Puckett was the best player I ever played with,” Backman said. “And I played with Barry Bonds, too.

“I thought it was bad,” Backman summed up,

BRUISED, NOT BROKEN Reliever Jenrry Mejia limped off the field in Syracuse with a bruise after taking a line drive off the inside his right leg while pitching for the Buffalo Bisons.

“He’ll be fine,” Backman said. “He’s gonna be bruised, but he will be fine.”
.

Popular Posts