.

Fans Obsession with Celebrity Weight

Fans Obsession with Celebrity Weight – Americans obsessed with celebrities? Actually, I rather take offense with that generalization. I’m not obsessed with celebrities, my grown daughter is not obsessed with celebrities; although I have noticed my twenty-three year old granddaughter seems more in tune to what celebrities are doing that I ever was, or my daughter after me.

I guess it must be a generational thing, because personally, I could care less, and do not know who many of these so called celebrities are, or why they are celebrities.


Now, I’m not ancient, but I am sixty, but I just don’t get it. How can a person be a celebrity for being absolutely nothing but a celebrity? Of course, this would by venue omit actors, actresses, singers, and literary persona, because they are known for something; that which they do, and many of them do it very well.

But what about those other people, usually female, who have become extremely wealthy and newsworthy for no reason other than someone, told them they were a celebrity. I’m not going to start naming names, because even if they don’t know who they are, we do. Just what is it they have done?

This past year alone we have suffered through celebrity dancers, celebrity weddings, celebrity families of multiple children, celebrities taking off weight and putting it on, celebrity family units beyond the legal definition of marriage, celebrity pawn stars, celebrity storage locker bidders, celebrity biker bars, celebrity repo guys, celebrity process servers, celebrity hair dressers, celebrity housewives, and the list goes on and on and on.

They call this phenomena “Reality Television”, and I’m thinking, “This is not reality; it’s a circus”.

And so it seems, we have self-proclaimed celebrities, and real celebrities, who inherently know they are celebrities, and the strange thing, I don’t hear too much about the real celebrities other than when they are doing what they do; making music, movies, or writing books.

When I was young, rock stars were celebrities; and although, I never went to a rock concert, I sure own a lot of their music. I don’t hear much about rock stars these days, and the ones I do, are the same ones that were rocking when I was young.

I think there is a whole new bunch of country singers out there that would be celebrities; but alas, I am not a country fan so I don’t know who they are.

So why are Americans obsessed with celebrities? I don’t know if I could have answered that question when I was twenty, but currently, I think it has something to do with the economic low our country is experiencing.

I once read a story about the depression, and how the movie industry thrived and grew during a time in history when people were barely able to keep food on the table. I think it just gives people something to look at, takes them far away from their problems, and it’s something new and exciting.
.

Popular Posts