.

Definition What Are Paczkis

Definition What Are Paczkis, You see, at Meijer on Sunday, they had Paczkis. And I came to the (albeit wrong) conclusion that Fat Tuesday fell on Valentine's Day. I had visions of chocolate paczki sugar comas prancing in my head and thought, “Well that's how I want to go!”But then I learned Meijer had just jumped the gun (and I would have to buy paczkis two weeks in a row) but it was already decided.I may not 'do Lent'--not being Catholic and all. But what better time is there for a severe diet than when EVERYBODY is in the midst of denial?
The day before Ash Wednesday is known by many names: Mardi Gras, Carnival, Fat Tuesday, Shrove Tuesday, Paczki Day, Pancake Day.

As we turn to the penitential season of Lent, we enjoy one last day of feasting. On this day, medieval Christians used up their eggs, butter, and milk--all of which were forbidden during their Lenten abstinence--by making pancakes and pastries.

Learn more about Fat Tuesday traditions from around the world, and try some of these Fat Tuesday recipes and Mardi Gras recipes at home. All of them are relatively simple, and they are a great way to remind us that our own Lenten fasting is minor compared with that of Christians in ages past.Barb Rolek, the About.com Guide to Eastern European Food, has the scoop on Poland's Fat Tuesday traditions. While the Poles and other Eastern Europeans made their own crepe-like pancakes, their preferred method of using up dairy products before Lent was the paczki, a rich donut usually (though not always) filled with jam (usually prune or raspberry). Similar to the German bismarck or berliner, these round rolls (pronounced "punch-key") are made with a yeast-raised egg batter.

But paczki aren't all that's cooking on Fat Tuesday in Poland. Check out the links below for other delicious treats!
Pronounced “pole-ski”, this is a Polish delicacy famous at Lent, as in “I’m giving up Polski for Lent”. I’m not Polish and my denomination is not known for giving up anything at Lent that cannot be given up the rest of the year as well, but Chicago is an ethnic town and I was eager to have the experience of giving these Polski things up for Lent. What is the best Polski? Anything covered with sugar, I was assured. I obtained one to run through the microwave for breakfast in the morning.
.

Popular Posts